Compliance with lighting requirements will be easier to determine with the newly updated U.S. Federal Lighting Guide Kit available from the National Truck Equipment Association (NTEA).
The Guide provides essential information for determining compliance with the lighting requirements in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108: Lamps, Reflective Devices and Associated Equipment. The Guide and a wall chart make up the Kit.
The spiral-bound Guide includes:
- A complete copy of FMVSS 108;
- A complete copy of Subpart B (Lighting Devices, Reflectors and Electrical Equipment) of 49 Code of Federal Regulations Part 393 (Parts and Accessories Necessary for Safe Operation) of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations;
- Lighting identification code charts and example;
- FMVSS Compliance Worksheet and compliance statement example;
- A compilation of articles related to motor vehicle lighting and FMVSS 108 compliance published by the NTEA.
The 158-page Guide and wall chart are available from the NTEA "Storefront" section of NTEA's Web site ($35 for members; $70 for nonmembers). For additional information, visit www.ntea.com or call 1-800-441-NTEA (6832).
The laminated, full-color wall chart has individual illustrations indicating specific requirements for height, location, color and number of lights and reflectors for six truck body types, a truck-tractor and a trailer. The 19''x 25'' chart is suitable for posting in the office or shop. No changes have been made to the wall chart.