ONE OF THE NEWEST trailer manufacturers in Germany is one of the oldest. Founded in 1898 as the Saxon wagon factory, it became a 100% subsidiary of Kögel Fahrzeugwerke AG in 1991. When Kögel in Ulm was purchased in early 2004 by Trailer Holding GmbH of Munich, a separate management-buyout returned the Werdau, Saxony, plant to local control. It is known as SAXAS Nutzfahrzeuge Werdau AG. Werdau is near Zwickau and Chemnitz in the former East Germany. The product lines are the same as the plant has been producing: truck bodies and express service bodies, swap bodies, trailers, and semitrailers.
The four former executives now heading the company are Bernd Voigt, chairman of the board; Josi Blechschmidt, finance; Steffen Ebert, technical; and Joachim Weigel, sales. Saxas Nutzfahrzeuge Werdau AG, Greizer Strasse 70, D-08412 Werdau, Germany.