After nipping around the edges, Dodge jumped back into the commercial truck business with the introduction of the all-new 2007 Dodge Ram chassis cab March 1 at The Work Truck Show.
The move is the latest the company has made in the commercial market. Previous steps Dodge has taken include expanding lineup of full-size vans and the recent introduction of a pickup box removal program for the Ram pickup.
The lineup consists of 4 x 2, 4 x 4, single-rear-wheel, dual-rear-wheel, regular and Quad Cab models.
Upfit-friendliness is a prevailing theme of the new chassis, the company said at its Work Truck Show event. The new model leaves behind the nonstandard frame spacing that previous Dodge models used. The frame rails, one-piece C-channel made of 50-ksi steel, are flat, free of rivet heads and other surface irregularities, and spaced apart the industry standard 34 inches.
Bolt-on exhaust hanger brackets provide increased upfitter flexibility, and riveted cross-members behind the cab allow for easier modification. In addition, the one-piece C-channel frame, u-bolt access every 18 inches along the length of the frame and shear plate mounting locations identified along the frame all contribute to the 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Chassis Cab’s upfitter friendliness.
The Ram chassis cab will be offered in single-rear-wheel and dual-rear-wheel models and in two cab-axle lengths (60 and 84 inches).
Key features include:
• 330-horsepower HEMI® gasoline engine is standard, and the new 6.7-liter Cummins Turbo Diesel is optional. The new Cummins delivers 305 horsepower at 3,000 rpm and 610 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,600 rpm.
• Designed from the ground up as a commercial-grade chassis.
• Exclusive flat, “clean” frame rails with industry-standard 34-inch frame rail spacing.
• A single-rear-wheel gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,200 lb.
• Quad Cab™ models will provide 121.7 cubic feet of interior room.
• A 52-gallon fuel tank will be standard.
• Optional engine exhaust brake will be offered.
The Dodge Ram 3500 chassis cab offers a six-speed automatic transmission (diesel only) with power take-off (PTO) capability or a six-speed manual transmission with PTO capability. An available electronic-shift transfer case is offered, and a factory-installed exhaust brake option contributes to both safety and superior brake pad life.