The TTMA Engineering Committee reviewed several key regulatory actions during the TTMA convention.
Among the regulatory items:
• The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is at work on revisions to its rear underride guard regulations.
• TTMA has been working with the Transportation Safety Equipment Institute to get strobe lights authorized on certain types of trailers.
• Phase 2 of EPA and NHTSA’s greenhouse gas proposal is expected to be published shortly.
• Mexico may modify its rules regarding conspicuity tape. Details are expected to be presented at the committee’s summer meeting scheduled for July 28 at The Embassy Suites Hotel in Alexandria, Virginia.
The Committee reviewed correspondence from Southwest Research institute and the California Air Resources Board. They also approved a guidance letter to CVSA to help determine out of service criteria for bolted slide rails.
The Committee reviewed several TTMA publications and reissued the following:
• RP 97 - Trailer Antilock Braking System Wiring
• TB 119 - Electrical Interface
for Truck-Trailer Interconnection
The committee expressed its gratitude to associate members who have hosted meetings. Rick Quinn of Steel Warehouse will host this year’s Associate-Hosted Meeting October 26-27. Future meeting volunteers are as follows:
2017: Andy Kinnucan of Hoosier Tank and Manufacturing
2018: Bill Schaffer of Overseas Hardwoods
2019: Steve Meagher of Peterson Manufacturing
2020: Dave Laeunesse of Phillips Industries
2021: Steve Miller of AXN Heavy Duty
This meeting marks the close of George Gauntt’s tenure as Committee Chairman. Gary Fenton of Stoughton Trailers will be assuming that role and John Rust of Trail King industries was approved as Vice Chairman for the 2016-2018 term. ♦
Find the TTMA Report archive with articles from 2012 to present