Cargo control specialist Kinedyne LLC used its press slot at the North American Commercial Vehicle Show to present a variety of new systems designed to address the demands placed on transportation providers by the impact of e-commerce on the supply chain.
“E-commerce is creating new cargo challenges, and Kinedyne is delivering new cargo solutions,” Paul Wolford, vice president of sales and marketing for Kinedyne LLC, said. “In the beginning, e-commerce had the greatest disruptive effect on end-of-the-line, also known as ‘final-mile’ or ‘last-mile’ delivery activities, but now companies throughout the supply chain are looking for ways to minimize transportation costs for cargo as it moves more swiftly throughout multiple transportation modes.”
Among the products introduced were a load-rated curtain-side system and a unique double-decking system designed specifically for curtain-side applications. The lightweight curtain-side system opens and closes at lightning-fast speeds, but is engineered to restrain lateral cargo movement. A load-rated curtain gives a trailer the combined advantages of flatbed access and a van’s walled structure. The double-decking system maximizes load density, allowing loading and unloading access of both cargo levels from the sides and rear, and all of its components conveniently stow in the trailer to avoid loss or damage.
“Popular in Europe, load-rated curtains become part of a vehicle’s overall load securement system. They save time, weight and fuel, while providing sideways restraint to otherwise fully secured loads up to the curtain’s stated rating,” Wolford said. “Our rated curtains will display their load rating as either allowable weight per pallet width, allowable weight per pallet space or total payload of evenly distributed pallets across the entire deck space. Forward and rear cargo restraint must still be provided by headboards, tailboards and other traditional load securement methods.”
During his presentation, Wolford highlighted the following related products:
- Load-Rated Curtain-Side System: The industry’s first load-rated curtain-wall system with a reinforced structural profile. The system is suitable for trailers up to 53 feet. With rapid access on both ends, the cargo space can be opened and closed again within seconds. The lightweight system is adaptable to a number of logistical challenges, such as palletized cargo, double-decking, rack-mounted goods and the transport of beverages.
- his unique double-decking system enables users to optimize the cargo capacity of Kinedyne’s advanced load-rated curtain-side system. The system accommodates cargo of varying dimensions and heights. System configurations can support between 13,000 and 24,000 pounds on their second loading levels.
- Fast-Access Curtain-Side System for the Urban Core: This curtain-side system was specially developed for fast and repetitive city distribution and short truck bodies of up to 28 feet. It’s ideal for side loading and unloading in busy city centers. The cargo space can be opened, accessed from both sides and closed again within seconds. This system can be combined with a sliding roof and rear doors, creating a totally open cargo access environment.
- Quick-Release Curtain-Side System for Standard and Tapered Bodies: The flexible quick-release latching system is particularly well suited for truck bodies that are tapered at their top. Skewed body construction often occurs when unique cargo must be accommodated, such as beverage and glass truck applications. This ergonomic system replaces cumbersome buckle closures and heavy roll-up doors that require stretching and straining to close.
- Patented Ultra-Smooth Sliding Roof System: This unique sliding roof system has patented folding plates and can be paired with an extended range of aluminum rails or combined with other curtain-style rapid-access products. The sliding roof makes the loading and unloading of long cargo easy and convenient and allows the use of over-head cranes. Users can choose between a traditional rear-to-front sliding roof or a sliding roof that opens and closes at both ends. Special patented security accessories are also available.
- Patented Non-Binding Roller Technology: All curtain-side and retractable roofs are equipped with advanced, patented roller technology that makes opening and closing them faster, safer and less ergonomically challenging. The three-roller design includes a steel horizontal roller that ensures effortless sliding and prevents the curtain from binding even when being briskly opened and closed.
To bring these new technologies to North America, Kinedyne tapped the resources of its sister company, Wistra Cargo Control, and one of its European suppliers, Versus-Omega. Both organizations are well respected and their technologies continue to set trends within the European Economic Community and globally.
All products are expected to be commercially available by January 2018.