Navistar showcased its production-ready International TerraStar 4x4 commercial truck—one of the company’s newest additions to its comprehensive Class 5-8 product portfolio—at the National Truck Equipment Association’s (NTEA) Work Truck Show.
Launched in 2010 in a 4x2 configuration, the International TerraStar took center stage giving work truck buyers a new product with a wide range of commercial duty features not offered in other trucks. Now, the 4x4 enables International Truck to capitalize on the other half of the market, so TerraStar is poised to win over an even broader range of customers.
“The TerraStar is the smaller sibling to the DuraStar, the best-selling medium-duty model throughout the past two decades, leveraging the same platform and commercial grade components,” said Jack Allen, Navistar’s president, North American Truck and Parts. “The TerraStar shares the same rugged, durable and hardworking DNA, making it in a class unto itself. The TerraStar 4x4 will deliver additional commercial duty capability for a wide range of customer needs, including construction, utility, landscape, and other off-highway applications.”
At the heart of the TerraStar 4x4 is its 300 horsepower, 6.8-liter V-8 engine, delivering 660 lb.-ft. torque. This engine features a compacted graphite iron (CGI) block which offers high strength without added weight.
With 38 percent more visibility and 30 percent more cab interior space than the competition, the TerraStar also offers outstanding maneuverability in even the tightest work environments. In addition, the commercial grade TerraStar cab, available in extended cab or crew cab configurations, is designed to be more durable than the competition and is constructed with double-sided, galvanized high-strength steel protected by a 5-step professional grade coating process to resist corrosion.
The TerraStar includes the International Diamond Logic® electrical system. With it, the engine, transmission, instrument panel and other vehicle components continually communicate with each other electronically. By monitoring critical vehicle functions and relaying information to the driver in real-time, Diamond Logic ensures safe, efficient vehicle operation. Diamond Logic delivers a number of smart, customizable features for added convenience and safety—such as automated pre-trip inspections, headlights on with wipers, automatically engaged safety interlocks, programmable switches and more depending on the application.
International TerraStar 4x4 Features Include:
- Allison Optimized™ 1000 Series transmission
- Fabco TC-28 gear-driven transfer case—the only gear-driven transfer case in its class
- 6.8-liter MaxxForce® 7 V-8 engine with up to 300 horsepower
- International® Ride-Optimizes Suspension (IROS) air suspension system
- Longer 138- and 150-inch CA offerings w/ standard cab to accommodate 18- and 20-foot bodies
- Aluminum step package and stainless steel fuel tank straps
- Commercial style tilt-away hood provides easy access to engine compartment for routine service and scheduled maintenance.
- Best-in-class 80,000 PSI frame rails and huck-bolted frame ensures maximum strength
- Commercial grade cab designed to be more durable and resist cracking under heavy loads