Landi Renzo USA has received US Environmental Protection Agency approval of a dual-fuel (diesel and natural gas) engine, with the remanufactured powerplant being a pre-EGR Detroit Diesel S60 12.7L engine.
The dual-fuel system injects natural gas after the turbo/intercooler, and a computer controls the exact balance of natural gas and diesel fuels to achieve maximum performance, efficiency, and economy, Landi Renzo said.
This engine runs on compressed natural gas, which replaces the majority of diesel fuel usage for an average fuel displacement of up to 60% and noise reduction of up to 40%.
According to the company, the dual-fuel engine reduces particulate matter by up to 40%, CO2 up to 14%, and smoke up to 50%.
Landi Renzo said benefits of the engine include:
•Performance comparable to the original pre-EGR engine in terms of torque, horsepower, drivability, and economy
• Maintains and improves emission levels of the original engine
• Flexibility for adaptation to different diesel engines
• Ability to switch back to 100% diesel if needed
• Requires less CNG storage than dedicated CNG vehicles
• Extended range compared with original diesel system ♦