Side-Walker trailer wins award

The combination of a full-opening side for loading long cargo or pallets and a moving-slat floor was enough to win the 2002 Trailer of the Year award from Commercial Motor magazine. Actually the STAS Side-Walker won in three categories: dry freight van, bulker, and overall winner.

It takes less than a minute for the full sidewall to hinge out and up, fold in half, and lie flat on the roof. Company salesmen say it requires only 20 seconds to open. When closing, the aluminum sidewall locks down securely with a hydraulic locking mechanism.

For bulk loads, the Side-Walker has a capacity of 86 m3 (112 cubic yards). Unloading is by means of a Keith Walking Floor. The 3-axle semitrailer is built for operation in 44 metric tonnes (97,000 lb) countries. Tare weight is 8,300 KG (18,250 lb).

STAS gets its name from the village of Stasegem where two brothers started as farriers and blacksmiths in 1938. Draft horses and agricultural carts gave way to tractors and trucks after the war. Today the third generation has large, modern plants specializing in aluminum semitrailers. Only 15% of its sales are in Belgium, the other 85% being exported to other European countries. Constructiewerkhuizen STAS NV, Flanders Fieldweg 45, Industriezone E17, B-8790 Waregem, Belgium.

TAGS: Trailers
Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish